Monday, February 4, 2013

Not Getting Married Today


What do you see?


They say life is a journey, not a destination.  When I look at this map, I see no specific destinations.  I don't see my apartment.  I don't see my favorite NYC restaurant.  I don't see anyone or anything important to me.  All I see are the paths I can take to general areas, my journey.

Once when I was very young, I went shopping with my mom.  We went to Marc's and she let me look around the toy section while she did some quick shopping.  Her shopping didn't end up being so quick after all.  My internal clock kicked in and I started to feel a very real abandonment (forgive me for saying so, mom).  Imagine a small boy with blonde hair [sticking up in the back], peeking out from behind metal racks with colored plastics and cardboards.  I repeated to myself what my mom said: to stay there and she would be there soon, five minutes.  Of course, I ended up pacing while in a panic for five excruciating minutes...and then ran for it.

If you are lost, it is perhaps best to stay where you are so you don't end up missing your own search party.  If you are LOST: The Complete Collection box set, it is perhaps best to come with snacks and a time machine so we might actually have the time to watch you, you crazy!

As it were, Remy was not in the mood for LOST tonight, so we ventured to the DVR and finally watched the first episode of RuPaul's Drag Race.  The noises, botox, and lingo left us both a little lost at times.  #itsadragthing  #iguess  #fishy?

I was fascinated by the idea that RuPaul was displeased with any queen who made it to the safe middle ground for not being outrageous enough to get noticed (for better or for worse).  Drag is such an interesting subculture that I'm just now starting to love as an artform (except for the lip-syncing...as Remy and I discussed.  #singyourownsongs).  Who do these queens date?  How do they find love?  When their careers consist of putting on this empowering persona, how do they find time for the person underneath the make-up?

I have two, maybe three, ex-boyfriends somewhere on that subway map.  I see the map, and I can guess where they are, but there is no way to know for sure.  No way to know that when I turn a corner on Astor Place, I'll be face to face with my one ex- that swore never to speak with me again.  When my train home passes 23rd or 42nd, maybe I'll see a familiar pair of jeans and shoes walking away with better places to go.


My short, blonde boy self ran out of the toy section and toward the checkout lines.  I desperately grasped a man with a red Marc's shirt and squeaked, "Excuse me!"  Then quivered, "I'm lost."  I was. I was separated from my love, my mom.  He sighed (obviously in the middle of something else) and grabbed my hand, starting to walk me further away from the toy section.



Remy and I also visited our monthly horoscopes today.  Apparently certain days are better for love or career or "no news is good news."  Our respective months of February are mapped out based on advantage.  We talked about our single, bachelor bro lives, and determined that we are lost.  We are.  Our loves are away, perhaps not yet met.


When I look at this subway map, my brain is inspired to see beacons of light popping up all over signaling the locations of my friends, co-workers, exes, and maybe even a one true love.  Where is Remy right now?  Where are his beacons?  How pretty would this map be if I could see each light and understand each individual significance all on the page.  How deep and meaningful this map would become.

"I solemnly swear I'm up to no good."  And there they are.

Tonight was also full of attempted lip-syncing on our parts.  Let's just say Remy needs to study more verses of Beyonce songs, and Anthony needs to study more musical theatre female roles.

It appears the both of us have days to wait until our moons and suns and planets align for optimal romance to reach us (the 4th for Remy!  5th and 6th for me! #watchout).  Until then, we might stay right here so that our parties may find us.

I looked back, panicked, at the toy section one last time and spotted my confused mom with a quarter-full cart.  I started to run to her, stopped, and looked up to the man holding my hand.  "I found her."  My little heart raced as I leapt into my mother's arms.



Our dailys:

Daily Fear: Lego Invasion
Daily Activities: Lip-syncing, Working, Avoiding Sleep
Daily Icon: RuPaul #getitgetit

Love, Bitches, and Goldfish,

TWO BROS

No comments:

Post a Comment